In March 2018, the Australian Government introduced the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa, replacing the 457 visa. This pivotal change redefined the landscape for skilled professionals seeking to work in Australia. The TSS visa offers a structured pathway for skilled workers to fill gaps in the Australian labour market while providing an opportunity for cultural and professional exchange.
What is the TSS Visa?
The TSS visa is a temporary work visa that allows skilled workers to live and work in Australia for a sponsoring employer. It is designed to address labour shortages by enabling Australian employers to recruit skilled workers from overseas. The visa is divided into two streams: the Short-Term Stream and the Medium-Term Stream, catering to different skill sets and offering varying lengths of stay.
- Duration: Up to 4 years, depending on the stream.
- Eligibility for Permanent Residency: Available for Medium-Term stream after 3 years.
- Inclusion of Dependents: Family members can be included in the application.
To qualify for a TSS visa, applicants must fulfill several criteria:
- Occupation: The job must be listed on the Combined List of Eligible Skilled Occupations.
- Skills and Experience: A minimum of two years’ relevant work experience is required.
- English Proficiency: Applicants from non-exempt countries must meet English language requirements.
- Health and Character: Applicants must meet health and character standards, including police clearances.
The Application Process
The TSS visa application involves three critical steps:
- Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS): Businesses must become approved sponsors.
- Nomination: Employers nominate an overseas employee, ensuring labor market testing and meeting salary and training levy requirements.
- Visa Application: The nominee applies for the visa, demonstrating skill, health, and character compliance.
- Previous 457 Sponsors: Companies with prior 457 sponsorships can use the same agreement for TSS visas.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit for TSS visa applicants.
- Permanent Residency Pathway: Not all occupations offer a pathway to permanent residency.
- Renewal and Dependent Inclusion: Renewal options vary based on the stream, and dependents can be included in applications.
The TSS visa offers a structured yet flexible route for skilled professionals to contribute to Australia’s economy while gaining international work experience. Understanding the nuances of this visa type is crucial for both potential applicants and sponsoring employers.