Orphan Relative visa (subclass 117) offers

Live & work freely in Australia

You have the freedom to live and work anywhere in Australia without restrictions.

Indefinite residency

Your 5-year visa can be renewed an unlimited number of times.

Family support

Sponsorship is available for eligible family members.

Medicare benefits

Eligible for comprehensive health coverage through Medicare.

Homeownership assistance

Eligible for a $10,000 first home owners grant.

Higher education funding

Access financial aid through Higher Education Loans Program (HELP).

A clear path to citizenship

After 4 years of residency, you can become an Australian citizen.

Citizenship for children

Children of permanent residents are automatically citizens.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for the Orphan Relative visa(subclass 117), the child must meet the following requirements:

  • Be under 18 years of age, single, and with no parent to care for them
  • Have a relative who is a settled Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or Australian permanent resident
  • Be outside Australia when the application is made and when a decision is made
  • Be sponsored by an eligible sibling or step-sibling, grandparent or step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle, and the sponsorship must be approved
  • Have no parent who can care for them, because they are either deceased, permanently incapable of caring for the child, or can’t be found. The visa will not be granted if the child’s parents are capable of caring for them but don’t want to.
  • Have consent to migrate to Australia
  • Meet the health and character requirements
  • Have paid back any debt owed to the Australian government

Application Process

The application process for the Orphan Relative visa(subclass 117) includes the following steps:

  1. Check your eligibility: Use our online eligibility assessment tool to see if you meet the requirements for this visa.
  2. Find an eligible sponsor: A family member who is a settled Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or Australian permanent resident can sponsor the child. The sponsorship must be approved.
  3. Apply for the visa: Once a sponsor is found, the child can apply for the visa online. They will need to provide evidence of their eligibility, health, and character requirements, and consent to migrate to Australia.
  4. Wait for a decision: The processing time for this visa can vary, and it might take several years to process the application.

At Migration Expert Australia, we can help simplify the application process for you. Our expert migration consultants can provide guidance and support throughout the process, ensuring that your application has the best chance of success.

Book a consultation

What our customers say
about us

Let’s hear their great stories


Jan 03, 2023

Professional and helped me get my visa to Australia

I have used Migration Expert Australia to help me apply for a visa to Australia. The team at Migration expert Australia has been very professional and helped me get my visa to Australia within a short time. I highly recommend Migration Expert Australia and its team if you are considering applying for a visa to migrate to Australia.


Dec 22, 2022

Thanks for your great support with my student visa application!

Always contactable for questions, providing timely, detailed, and very helpful answers, all the while going through the application process very thoroughly with a great deal of integrity and an emphasis on detailed preparation - I felt in safe and experienced hands from start to finish!
Thank you very much!


Feb 17, 2023

Very satisfied

I had no trouble using this site.
It is a reasonable cost and very fast. I recommend this site to anyone. Thanks for the excellent service. Much easier than in the past.

Book a consultation

Book your Migration Consultation today and take the first step towards your dream life in Australia. Our experts are waiting to guide you every step of the way.

Book a consultation

Getting ready to apply for a visa?

Don't risk; get professional help. Book a Consultation