Unit Group 2712: Judicial and Other Legal Professionals
Judicial and Other Legal Professionals hear legal and other matters in courts and tribunals; interpret, analyse, administer and provide advice on the law; and draft legislation.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least five years of relevant experience. Judges require appointment by the government or crown and must have been a Magistrate or an experienced legal practitioner of at least seven years standing. Magistrates must have been a legal practitioner of at least five years standing (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.
- researching statutes and previous court decisions relevant to cases
- conducting trials and hearings
- calling and questioning witnesses
- hearing and evaluating arguments and evidence in civil and criminal summary matters
- deciding penalties and sentences within statutory limits, such as fines, bonds and detention, awarding damages in civil matters, and issuing court orders
- exercising arbitral powers if resolution is not achieved or seems improbable through conciliation
- preparing settlement memoranda and obtaining signatures of parties
- advising government of legal, constitutional and parliamentary matters and drafting bills and attending committee meetings during consideration of bills
- preparing advice on matters associated with intellectual property rights
- advising clients and agents on legal and technical matters
Occupations in this unit group
- 271211 Supreme Court Judge
- 271211 Youth Court Judge (NZ)
- 271211 High Court Justice
- 271211 District Court Judge
- 271211 Family Court Justice
- 271211 Judge
- 271212 Magistrate
- 271212 Chamber Magistrate
- 271212 Children's Court Magistrate
- 271212 Industrial Court Magistrate
- 271212 Licensing Court Magistrate
- 271214 Patent Attorney
- 271214 Trade Mark Attorney
- 271214 Intellectual Property Lawyer
- 271299 Legal Officer
- 271299 Parliamentary Counsel
- 271299 Judicial Registrar
- 271299 Family Court Registrar
- 271299 Family Law Mediator
- 271299 Judicial and Other Legal Professionals nec
- 271299 Legal Researcher
Work and Live in Australia:
Get Your Skills Assessed for Skilled Migration Today!
To be eligible for skilled migration visas in Australia, it is mandatory to have your skills assessed for points tested visas, employer sponsored, graduate migrant, and temporary graduate.
Get your skills assessed by experienced professionals who will guide you through the process and maximize your chances of skilled migration to Australia.
Book a consultation
Book your Migration Consultation today and take the first step towards your dream life in Australia. Our experts are waiting to guide you every step of the way.Book a consultation