What Is A Migration Agent?

What is a migration agent
A Migration agent or consultant is an Australian Government registered professional who is legally able to provide advice about migration to Australia.

What are they and what do they do?

Migration agents are recognised by the Australian Government and they are able to help applicants with their visa applications to Australia. They are permitted to:

  • Prepare, or help prepare, a visa application or other documents
  • Give advice about visa applications or visa matters
  • Prepare for any court proceedings/review authority relating to visa applications or visa matters

What Qualifications or Registrations do Migration Agents need?

In order for a person to become a migration agent, they must satisfy ALL of the following requirements:

  • They must be registered with Migration Agents Registration Authority (more commonly known as MARA)
  • They must be meet the English language and education requirements
  • They must hold a legal practising certificate, a graduate diploma or a graduate certificate in migration law and practice
  • They must pass an Australian National Police Check
  • They must hold professional indemnity insurance
  • They must be an Australian citizen, or hold Australian permanent residency, or be a New Zealand citizen who holds a special category visa
  • They must be over 18 years of age
  • Meet all additional requirements

What is the difference between a migration agent and a migration lawyer?

Migration lawyers are able to represent you in court regarding immigration matters, but if they are not a registered migration agent too, then they are not allowed to provide assistance – which includes preparing visa applications and giving advice on visa matters.

If you decide to approach an immigration lawyer, it is best to ensure that they are also a registered migration agent or they will not be of much help when it comes to visa related advice and visa application preparations.

What is the Migration Institute of Australia?

The Migration Institute of Australia helps govern registered migration agents in Australia and abroad.

The MIA helps maintain the integrity of the industry by accepting members who exemplify the highest standard of migration practice and leadership.

What is MARA?

The Migration Agents Registration Authority is the governing body that regulates all migration consultants in Australia.

  • If your agent is MARA registered, then that means that the Government has vetted them
  • The Australian Government sanctions migration consultants who are not doing their job properly, or are acting unethically.

Get it right the first time
Save time and money

  • Genuine, Expert Advice
  • Personalised Service
  • Friendly & Transparent