Australian Labour Market
The Australian workforce has experienced many structural improvements over the last decade, which has contributed to the growth in job creation and productivity. In the last two years, employment has grown by more than 2% per annum.
- In April 2013, the unemployment rate was 5.5%.
- Australia is ranked 11th in the world for overall productivity, as measured by GDP per person employed.
- The 3 sectors of highest employment in Australia are: Retail trade, manufacturing and property and business services.
- The 3 major occupation groups are: Professionals, administrative workers and technicians/trades workers.
- Approximately 25% of the Australian labour force is comprised of employees born overseas.