Change Country:
Family Visas
Migration Expert Australia is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced MARA registered migration consultants who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for an Australian visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process.
All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the Australian Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the Australian Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.
Australian Registered Immigration Consultants MARA Registered Australian Immigration Consultants OISC Registered UK Immigration Consultants ICCRC Registered Canadian Immigration Consultants
Australian Family Visas
Do I qualify for

Family Visa?

Australian Aged Parent Visa

The Australian Aged Parent visa allows aged parents who are already in Australia on a valid temporary visa to remain permanently through sponsorship from an eligible Australian or New Zealand child settled in Australia.

The number of Aged Parent visas is capped each year and current applicants are experiencing significant waiting times despite an additional 4000 Parent visas being recently announced in the Family Migration stream.

Eligible applicants may choose to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa where a larger application fee and an Assurance of Support bond is required but the waiting period is much shorter.

Aged Parent Visa Eligibility Assessment

The Free Visa Eligibility Assessment from Migration Expert lets you know if you meet the basic requirements to apply for an Aged Parent visa to Australia. To ensure that your assessment gives you a realistic result, ensure that the information you provide is as accurate as possible.

Complete the Aged Parent Visa Assessment


Australian Aged Parent Visa Basic Requirements

To be eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa, applicants must meet the age requirement, pass the 'balance of family' test and be sponsored by their child who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen settled in Australia.


An aged parent is one who is old enough to be granted an Australian age pension. For male applicants, the qualifying age is currently 65 years and for female applicants, the qualifying age ranges from 63 to 65 depending on the applicant's date of birth.

Balance of Family

The 'balance of family' test applies to all Parent visa applicants and the applicant must demonstrate that they have:

  • at least half of their children living lawfully and permanently in Australia; or
  • more children living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any one single country overseas.

An Aged Parent visa must be applied for onshore and applicants are required to be in Australia at the time that the visa is granted.

All Australian visa applicants are required to satisfy health and character requirements.

Complete the Aged Parent Visa Assessment


Australian Aged Parent Visa Entitlements

Successful applicants and holders of an Australian Aged Parent visa become permanent residents of Australia. Australian permanent residents are entitled to live, work and study in Australia on a permanent basis. Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.

Successful applicants and holders of an Australian Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa will be granted a two year temporary residence visa.

Complete the Aged Parent Visa Assessment

To see a full listing of our fees and services,Aged Parent Visa processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.

Other Family Visas
Latest Immigration News
  • Can you apply for an Australian Visa if you have a criminal record?

    Migration Expert has vast experience dealing with clients from all over the world wishing to enter Australia. Every so often, we get concerns from some of our clients who have a criminal record on how they can come into Australia. Everyone wishing to enter Australia must be of “good character” and be able to satisfy the character requirement which applies.

    Although it is important to seek the advice of a migration agent for your individual case, here’s an overview of what you need to do to come into Australia when you have a criminal record.

  • Poland now Eligible for Australian Work and Holiday Visa Program
    A reciprocal work and holiday visa arrangement between Australian and Polish governments took effect from 01 August 2014, providing young people from the two countries the chance to experience culture of each other's country.
  • Immigration Minister Demands Reports on Allegations of Visa Frauds
    Australian Immigration Minister Scott Morrison required an urgent report from the Immigration Department about allegations of widespread visa fraud over the last six years.